Sunday, December 21, 2008

Winter Hummingbirds

Two weeks ago I was in the master bedroom doing some chores when something caught my attention out of the corner of my eye. I turned around, and there at the window was a hummingbird. I immediately thought of getting the feeder out of the garage, so I brought it in and cleaned it up while I got some water boiling on the stove.

When the water came to a boil, I added the proper amount of sugar then stuck this mixture in the refrigerator to cool. As soon as it cooled, I put some in the feeder and set it out.

During the next week a winter storm hit us hard with cold temperatures and lots of snow. Since the humming bird continued to feed and seemed grateful, I knew I needed to keep the feeder full of life saving food, and so found myself checking the feeder frequently during the following cold and snowy days.

I also found out that keeping the water thawed during these 20 degree days was a full time job.

I only had one feeder, so I'd bring it in and put it on a heater vent. It would only take 20 or so minutes to thaw and back out it would go. ( I'm going to buy another feeder when I can)

I brought the feeder in every night to keep the nectar thawed, returning it to its hook with fresh food every morning.

Yesterday morning I put it out early, and when I checked on it a half hour later there were two hummingbirds on the feeder.

This morning......as usual...........I put the feeder out, and had barely taken my hand away when one of the hummers landed on the feeder and started to eat voraciously. (we have not seen the second hummer all day)

This little bird occasionally sits in our plum tree. so I finally got a good look at him through binoculars. I've identified him as an Anna's Hummingbird:

Description top
* Size: 10 cm (4 in) * Wingspan: 12 cm (5 in) * Weight: 3-6 g (0.11-0.21 ounces)
* Medium-sized stocky hummingbird. * Tiny compared with other kinds of birds. * Back iridescent bronzy green, grayish below. * Male has rose red throat and forehead.
* Tail broad. * Bill straight and of medium length.

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/BirdGuide/Annas_Hummingbird_dtl.html

We're really enjoying helping these little creatures out, and love having them as visitors through the Christmas Holiday.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Tera's Raw Inspiration said...

It is very rewarding to be a Hummingbird caretaker, I know I really enjoy it as well!

The McCurdy Family said...

Will be off line till Wednesday due to downed cable in our neighborhood. (I'm at the library now) The little hummingbirds have turned into two little hummingbirds. They don't care if the cable is out........they both seem to love the break in the weather. They're flitting around a lot more than normal, and going through more food.

;)